<VV> Electrical questions

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Tue Feb 8 22:29:14 EST 2005

1. Forget the fuse. If you REALLY want to have one, get a MAXI fuse, which
has an actual current rating, and bolts in place to your wires. Buss makes these
for cars, and this is the presently preferred technology. Fusible link wires
are not done much anymore on new stuff. Frankly, the Corvair wiring harness is
adequately protected, IMHO.

2. Ballast resistors need to be matched to their respective coils. Corvairs
with stock coils use a 1.8 ohm ballast wire or resistor, depending on the year.
Since the coil impedance varies with engine speed, selecting based on voltage
is a fairly fruitless effort. If you go electronic, most modules work best
with no ballast resistance at all.

In a message dated 2/8/2005 2:01:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,