<VV> Re: Your input welcomed

Les corvair@mts.net
Wed Feb 16 03:10:13 EST 2005

Garth; see my humble opinions below:

Message: 4
From: "Garth Stapon" <stapon1@earthlink.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:19:36 -0500
Subject: <VV> Re: Your input welcomed

Gents:

Your input on the following would be appreciated.

I have a 65 - 4 door with 110 hp - with dual exhaust.

I am looking for input on the following parts.

1) Bolt in (easy to install for a layman) electronic ignition
*** Pertronix Ignitor or Ignitor II from your favourite Corvair vendor.

2) Electric fuel pump with motion switch that kills power to the pump in the
event of an accident
*** I believe the Corsa Tech Guide (one of the handy documents available from CORSA) describes this setup. I'm not using it myself (mechanical, plus a spare).

3) Brake line that runs from the front to the rear of the car (the one in
the tunnel) - All others have been replaced
*** ugh. You can bend one up from stock pieces available from your FLAPS. Or order one from a vendor, which will be folded in half for shipment. It gets pretty painful around the powertrain at the rear of the car....

4) Is there an easy way to lubricate the rear wheel bearings short of
complete disassembly?
*** Controversial. You can drill a tiny hole in the housing using lots of grease on the bit to hopefully catch as many shavings as possible. Then use a needle on your grease gun to fill the housing or dril out the hole for a grease fitting. But you can't inspect the bearings, you might get shavings in there, and you have no idea if the 2 pounds of grease it takes to fill the housing actually gets anywhere near the bearings. Then if you overfill grease leaks out the seals and goes everywhere. I only did this for a parts car I was towing; for my 'real' car I rebuilt the bearings properly. BTW this is an EASY job on an Early.

5) Is a transmission cooler for a PG available? Is one necessary?
*** AFAIK. Only if you have an Ultravan.

6) Who makes the best ignition wire kit? (does not have to be NOS style)
*** Seth Emerson - Silicone Wiring Systems.

7) I am considering the installation of  a set of front buckets that
incorporate a shoulder belt in the seat. Has anyone done this? If yes, what
kind of car / year did they come from. (The seat from a Sebring covert comes
to mind)
*** http://corvairkid.com/sebring.htm - IMHO not worth the effort for you as you can easily mount shoulder belts to the roof.

8) I need a clutch kit for my 65 - 4 speed.  When I take it apart, what
pieces should I replace. (i.e. pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel
ect.)
*** Pressure plate probably needs machining and balancing, flywheel needs to be machined, bolted if not already, and balanced, new clutch disk, throwout bearing, input shaft seal, and pilot bushing. Take a good look at the front crank seal while you're in there.

(I seem to remember something about a bolted flywheel - Is this necessary?)
*** YES

Thanks in advance
Garth
LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE!