<VV> Late model "Monza Spyder"

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Thu Feb 17 01:00:18 EST 2005

If I recall correctly, there was a lengthy discussion some months (years?)
ago regarding the existence of a late-model "Monza Spyder."  Well, there
was at least one mocked up by GM back in 1964 and pictures (or perhaps the
actual car) were provided to the press.

I was perusing my stock of old car magazines that had Corvair articles in
them and happened to take a closer look at the cover of the October 1964
Car and Driver.  This issue covered all the new 1965 models, including the
"All-New Corvair", the Plymouth Formula "S" Barracuda, and the 271 horse
Mustang fastback.  (The cover says "we love it!" about the Corvair!!)

The cover photo is a '65 Corvair Coupe in Aztec Bronze with what appears to
be real knock-off wire wheels.  There is only one emblem on the side and
that's just behind the front wheel and it is clearly a Monza Spyder
combination.  The license plate on the front says in three lines "MONZA
SPYDER, 5 - 1965, CORVAIR".

The article inside, however, has sort of an odd mix of pictures, none of
them of the magazine cover car.  (They're a different color for one
thing.)  None of them have the Monza Spyder emblem -- they all have the
normal Corsa badges.  I'm not sure if it was just the way they took the
photos or trimmed them for the article, but first picture shows a driver's
rear quarter view but there is neither an engine hp emblem nor are there
exhaust pipes visible so that car may also be a GM styling mockup.  They do
show a Corsa 140 out on a country road (standard 140 tailpipe) and then a
front and rear view of a turbocharged Corsa (badge, but no tail pipe! --
maybe another styling mockup) and this time with a license plate that reads
"CORSA, 5-1965, CORVAIR".  Finally, there's a cutaway of the car -- a Corsa
140.  (I believe CORSA used to sell this print -- does anyone know if
they're still available?)

The article reviewed -- in great depth -- a turbocharged version.  They
liked the car!

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair.