<VV> Random Corvair thoughts(and other stuff) from Ryan, the young buck.

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Feb 22 02:30:46 EST 2005

Ryan
You are likely to get lots of advice, some online, some off.

I don't know why you quit school, a GED isn't a bad thing to have, it at
least shows you have the smarts to finish something  you started, even if it
was in a non-conventional way.

There are lots of military veterans here (me included) that can testify that
one of the best ways to get job training and college money is to enlist in
the military.  Lots of jobs that convert to civilian careers.

There also is the Job Corps, you can find them on the internet too,  kind of
a "short Course" of the military where you live military style while
learning a trade, and once your training is complete, Job assistance is
there to get you started.....

School might not have been your cup of tea, but looking back---folks who get
to the end of their life without post high school education have been lucky.
In the 21st Century it's even going to be harder than ever.   In the
Military, you can go to college off working hours virtually free of cost.
I am not going back to finish my college degree at age 48 for nothing.  It's
never too late to start.

Take a look on sites like Monster.com, and pick any area you choose.  Look
and see how many jobs are out there that DON'T require a college degree.
That is, that will pay a wage that will keep a roof over your head, feed
you, pay your bills, and let some extra be there to fiddle with a Corvair to
keep you sane.

Most important of all, whether you join the Military, get Vocational
Training, go to Community College, whatever you decide,  DO SOMETHING!!!  SO
many people your age are content to have some kind of going nowhere, low
paying job, and live with their parents, and are on the one way street to
loserville.   Don't let that happen to you!!!

Keep us advised

Hank