<VV> Re: Divergents

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 12:46:27 EST 2005

Hello Chuck,
Well, being a task director on the Corvair design team and intimately
involved with directing all aspects of GMs policies and practices for over 70 years,
I certainly am well qualified with my excellent memory to answer your all of
your questions. So please see below for my excessively detailed responses. <ggg>
 If you believe that, I've got a bridge for sale too.

In a message dated 2/21/05 8:17:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
carmerjr at mindspring.com writes:

> Hey Bob, I have a couple of questions for you. Is the GM crankshaft "fix"
> for all
> engines produced after 1961 or just for 145 cu engines?

Yes, but a couple is two, if I remember my math..

If the "fix" is for
all engines
after 1961, what causes the  #5 and #6 break? Is it the deformation or

> viabrations

Yes

> and why wouldn't  "pounding out" still happen even though it might be
> slower and
> less severe than before?

tighter clearances, or was it magic? I forget.

If whipping action is caused by a flywheel or torque

> converter wouldn't it still exist regardless of the bearing clearance or
> crankshaft
> location?

Yes

Finally are you suggesting that crankshafts prior to the "fix"

> would break
> somewhere other than at #5 and #6?

No

Regards, (and that now has drained my memory)
Bob Helt