<VV> okay then...a little more detail - no vair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Feb 23 10:51:51 EST 2005

In Mike's defense (especially since I got a kind mention in the write-up)

-Today, college is like high scholl was a few decades ago... it's almost mandatory to get ahead in life. For the majority of careers, just having an accredited
BA or BS is all that's necessary to get the job... it's what you do after that point that dictates how well you suceed. I think Mike's basic point was to explain
how important school was even if you felt school "wasn't for you".... and I think he is being overly modest in what he accomplished in school and after.

-In my experience, while you may receive, analyze, and critique the information (as most any good student does), the more important skill is being able to do
all that AND understand the subject well enough to give the professor what he wants. You can be "technically right"  and get a low grade or you can be
"smart" and get an A. I've found this trend nicely translates to the business world as well and is an attribute of successful people.

Read the history of science... the brightest folks were usually not the most successful... because they lacked interpersonal skills.

The _most_ successful can take this one step further and "train" their boss... but this doesn't work in college. How else could you explain my 3.9 GPA in my
Political Science courses knowing the typical makeup of the PS professors at any given university AND knowing my strong opposing political views?

-Mike is very successful professionally and personally.  I would not consider his 4 years "wasted" at all... he has been more successful than your average
college graduate... so I think he indeed learned very important skills for life.

Corvair content? Mike enthusiastically concentrated on Corvair restoration as a part time job/hobby during high schol and college. In addition to the skills he
learn in school, he learned enough about Corvairs and the old car business in general to be able to very successfully run his own business if he chose to...
and to apply those skills to his vocation as well. As the youngest president of Group Corvair ever, it's clear that he picked up the interpersonal skills to be
able to lead and plan. I think that Mike (and others like him) are the best hope for the survival of CORSA in the upcoming decades.

Any young person would do very well to emulate him.

Bill