<VV> Re: worn rocker balls

CorvairEd@aol.com CorvairEd@aol.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 02:32:54 EST

BigD@davemorris.com writes:

If you
don't position the little "spit hole" on the pushrod so it's aiming at the
ball, I suppose it would cause premature wear.

Dave,
The pushrod rotates all the time the engine is running so it doesn't mater
where
the hole in the side of the pushrod is aiming during assembly.  It  will come
around
to align with the hole in the rocker on each rotation and lube the rocker
ball
properly.  In the shop manual where it says to make sure the hole in  the
side of
the pushrod is at the top, it's referring to being at the cylinder head  side
of the
engine.  Remember this was the first engine GM built and the tech  writers
think of
the heads as being at the top of the engine.  It is very important to  lube
the balls
during assembly.  I prefer Moly Assembly Lube.

Ed Corson  (CORSA Member)
IECC