<VV> Stock performance

Marc Sheridan sheridanma@adelphia.net
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:38:59 -0500

Since I posted what I found in my old Hot Rod magazines, someone asked
me off list what the IECO Dyno Pak was and why they used Bill Thomas
heads instead of 65-66 140 heads. That forced me to reread the series of
articles that got me interested in Corvairs in the first place. Thanks
for taking me down memory lane :o).

After the reread, I did find a speed to go with the 17.6 second quarter
mile run. It was 80.6 mph for a stock '68 140 in with a four speed.

The IECO Dyno Pak consisted of normal tune up parts, such as plugs,
points and Packard 440 wires. Besides that, there were rebuild kits for
the carbs that included larger main jets and modified accelerator pump
actuating rods. Also included were four individual chrome air cleaners.

As for the heads, they didn't really say, but my guess is the heads were
either replaced by pre smog heads or they desmogged the heads they had.
Political correctness probably kept them from saying what they really
did :o).

Marc Sheridan