<VV> Rear Wheel Bearing failures

Ed Dowds ed_dowds@hotmail.com
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:24:17 -0500

I have a street rod which uses a '68 Corvette rear suspension. When
assembling the rear, in 1976, I read that the original design (1963) had a
press fit on the rear spindle. There was some mention of this being for
spindle retention as the '63 vette had drum brakes. The article went on to
say that since '65 & up vettes had disc brakes (which kept the spindle tied
to the arm) it was ok to eliminate the press fit. My dad had access to a
machine shop so he had the work done. I took the spindle assemblies apart at
about 30,000 miles. Absolutely no problems. I suspect that the torque of the
nut locks the bearings on more than a slight press fit ever will. The lack
of a press fit sure makes disassembly MUCH easier!
                                   Ed