<VV> Computing by Candle Light

Ken Wildman k-wildman@onu.edu
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:26:31 -0500

Wednesday night a massive ice storm hit our area.  At first it was very
pretty with all the tree limbs coated in ice and twinkling.  After a few
hours accumulation the weight of the ice started bringing branches
down.  We thought we heard someone knocking at our back door, but it was
actually the sound of the wire clamps holding the powerline down to the
meter pulling out of the house in rapid succession.   A heavy branch hit
the power line to our home and pulled the electric meter off of the
house.  I looked out the window and in the dusk light saw the electric
meter apparently floating in mid-air, face down.  It was actually still
attached and stretched between the power pole and the house.  A few hours
later the power went out completely through out the village.

We called the power company when the meter and house parted company and
they told us to schedule our electrician to come out and fix "his" part
when the power company people came to make repairs.  Only problem was that
they didn't know when they would be able to come.  That made "scheduling"
somewhat difficult.   :)

We spent a frozen Thursday night in the house with temperatures inside down
to about 42deg. Fahrenheit.  That doesn't sound too bad until you consider
that the recommended temperature for a refrigerator is about
40deg.  Sitting in the house was about like sitting in the fridge.  So, on
Friday I made a reservation for the night at a motel in a nearby city.

On Saturday, our electrician came and made all the repairs that he was
responsibile for, and with the power completely disconnected from the
house, I felt safe in connecting the RV generator to the garage plug that
usually keeps the RV batteries charged during the winter.  Running the
generator now fed 110v AC back into the house wiring and we could run the
furnace and the lights on one of the two "legs" being supplied by the
garage wiring.

The routine settled down to running the generator until the house was back
to it's normal 68deg., then turning it off for awhile, then re-starting it
when the temperature inside dropped to about 60deg.  We timed bedtime
around the last "run" and started each night's sleep at 68 and awoke to
temperatures in the high 50's.  This morning I ran out to start the
generator and nothing happed except for a rat-tat-tat sound from the
starter.  I switched from the coach battery to the house batter, but still
not enough current to get a start.  Eventually, I decided to try with both
batteries connected into the circuit, and it worked!  The generator started
and I ran it for about an hour charging the two batteries.  When they were
charged I connected the generator back to supplying the house and got some
heat going again.

Dealing with the heating situation and other chores like lawn cleanup,
etc.  I only hooked up the laptop-cellphone long enough to download some
accumulated e-mail, about 350 messages worth.  Of course the best cell
phone reception in our house is in a room with no available lighting, so I
was reduced to reading the keyboard by candle
light.  I've finally got the phone and laptop sufficiently charged to start
sending mail.

It's now about 1:30pm Monday afternoon.  The best information so far is
that we should have full power restored no later than Wednesday
evening.  From the looks of town I'll be pleasantly surprized if they make
that deadline.  Ada looks like a battle-zone.  They even ran the snowplows
just to move tree limbs out of the streets.  Every street has 5 or more
individual powel lines down.

Two general observations from our experience.  First, our little Corvair
powered motorhome with it's 2.8Kwatt generator turned a frozen disaster
into just an inconvenience.  I'm amazed at how much of the house can be
handled by that little unit.  and Second, this was our first opportunity in
over 30 years of Newfoundland ownership to discover just how hard it is to
see a big black dog on the floor when all the lights are out.   :)

Stay warm,
Ken