<VV> Corvair 95 grille function?

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:40:09 -0500

There was a change with an air flap behind the grill added to try and
prevent the cold air from coming into the cabin.  The bezel/grille and
headlight bezels remained unchanged AFAIK for all years of FCs.

A spring-loaded handle with grille flap of formed plastic, was added at
least in the 64 and 65 models-not sure if it came in during the late 63
changes. Handle was steel with coated end and spring, located on vertical
"firewall" or floorboard under dash in more-or-less center.  Would someone
please explain which year the grille flap was added?

Thks,

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: RoboMan91324@aol.com [mailto:RoboMan91324@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:30 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; conwi1wd@cmich.edu
Subject: <VV> Corvair 95 grille function?

Hi William,

1.  Passenger compartment air intake.
2.  Same for all years AFAIK.
3.  Relatively easy to find from used parts vendors like California Corvairs

and Southwest.  I would guess less than $20 or so plus shipping.

Are you going to put this on an FC or are you going to put it on the wall
like Famous Dave?  If it will be a wall ornament, you might pay less from
the
vendors if you tell them that you can use one that has dents, etc.  Of
course,
you don't want something too badly trashed but something between trash and
driver quality might suit your purpose.

Good luck,

Doc
~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 1/11/2005 6:01:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:12:08 -0500
> From: William D Conwill <conwi1wd@cmich.edu>
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Corvair 95 grille function?
>
> Does the grille between the headlights on a FC actually serve a purpose
> (like cooling the engine)?  Did they change between '61 and '65?  How hard
are
> they to find in good condition and what prices do they usually bring?
There's