<VV> Flying to Portland

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:10:23 -0000

>>Smitty says:  Not when you are driving a Corvair.  Five or six days of
>>pure driving pleasure.  Just dial in the cruise, set the AC and kick back
>>and watch the country go by.
>
> Tony says: I don't have any Vairs with AC...   and could you imagine what
> this sort of
> trip would be like with this radical female moose child in the back who
> would be crawling the headliner after the first day's driving?

I thought that bit was a joke! I thought Smitty was being ironic about the
lack of creature comforts in a Vair compared with the modern stuff?

Anyway, me, I'd rather go without toys. All stuff like power steering,
cruise, A/C, elec seats, etc does is add weight and complexity, and dilute
the purity of the car.

'Just add lightness' (Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus)

'Weight is the enemy' (Raymond Loewy - you know who he is)

I am sure Vincenzo Lancia will have said something similar as well, but I
haven't got the quote (in Italian or English!).

And one of the reasons I like Vairs so much is because they are one of the
lightest, simplest and purest American cars (I suppose Falcons are probably
lighter and simpler, but that's about it!).

Cheers

Alan