<VV> Oil changes again (no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:01:29 -0800

At 08:59 hours 01/11/2005 -0500, SPYDER62@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/11/2005 12:51:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>tonyu@roava.net writes:
>I think it was the last flying/airworthy original corncob engine'd Corsair.
>  Bummer.
>I did pull on the prop on that one while it was parked in a hanger, not
>easy but it turned.
>
> No, it was a modified F4U-1D. I have the Air Classic that shows all the
work
>they did on it.
> One of the originals is now at the Seattle Museum of Flight (the ex
Champlan
>plane from AZ.), the Navy has one in Pensacola and one is said to be in a
>bone yard in Ohio. That one is said to be all there but in parts and ower
will
>not sell.
>rich

Humm...  I was under the impression it was an original corncob Corsair.
It certainly looked the part, right down to the nacelle and the intake
scoops.

I was also told that it was manufactured by Goodyear.   Oh well, I've been
led astray before.  ;)   In any event, it's a shame it went down.    The
passing of *any* warbird is always a loss.    Pilot got out OK, chuted down
and all was well except for the airplane.     It left a smoking hole in
the ground...  saw photos, it was in flames as it went down.

tony..