<VV> Re Heating a 4 Barrel

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:13:15 -0800

> Norm Frakes
> normf@centurytel.net
>
>> I have a 66 Corsa convert with that setup .... Using the 390 cfm
> Holley! Note that the carb is really isolated from the engine.....and
thus
> unlike most carbureted engines...the carb is not heated much from
contact
> with the intake manifold....that makes the carb act cold.....thus
> hesitation.......atomization and vaporization of gasoline is not
> ideal. I've heard that some heat the carb, but I'd like to see
> how they do it without cobbling up the installation.
Smitty says:  I did that one time with a 70s aircleaner snorkle with the
vaccum valve on it to select heat and it worked very well.  I moved the
temp sensor down under the oil cooler to switch the valve. The Ned Nicols
69 Monza that was in the museum for a while was modified with a 4bbl by
GM engineers.  It had a metal box loosely fitted to the bottom of the
4bbl plenium under the carb.  It was fed with heat from  one of the
manifold covers down below by a 1/2" tube.  I saw no indication  it was
valved to shut the heat off when warm.