<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1686 - 12 msgs

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:45:20 -0600

Mike,
"The community" is generally tolerant of pretty much anything you do to a
Corvair.  If you take the body and mount it on a SUV frame with huge swamp
buggy tires and a ladder to get in, maybe somebody will ask if it's really
still a Corvair, but they won't ban you from the list.  ;-)

In my case, I have a '65 Corsa convert - 140, Corsa dash, chrome shifter
"boot", wire caps, all the emblems (including the door panels), silver cove,
etc.  There's something wrong with the VIN, though.  It seems to say it's a
Monza.

Roger Gault

> OK, while we're on the subject...  What (if any) is the general consensus
in "the community" about modifying a non-Corsa to look like a Corsa??  I
definitely want to paint the cove silver and I love the dash (but the
thermistor situation is quite shocking!).  I don't think I would add Corsa
emblems and etc. but you never know...

> I feel some kind of obligation not to mess with a historical vehicle too
much but I'm also not interested in getting a Corvair to have it as a museum
piece - I want to drive it.  "Customizing" your car was certainly a common
thing to do with your car when the Corvair was young but somehow it seems
that the survivors shouldn't be messed with too much.  Still, I love the
silver cove (and the dash) but I don't want to be too picky about getting an
actual Corsa.  Oh yeah, I also like the Yenko stripes but there's no way I'm
going to get an actual Stinger to have them on a car.