Fwd: <VV> rebodied corvairs/

Jim Houston tampatexan at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 16:43:34 EDT 2005

My wife and I bought a Ford Aerostar from a *Ford Dealer* in San
Antonio, TX back in 1992.  I traded in a Chevy Malibu wagon.  All the
paperwork was done, loan processed, etc, etc.  We made payments for 19
months and then the Texas DPS showed up at the door to recover the
*stolen* vehicle!!  Turned out that it had been driven off a lot in
Vancover, WA and traded in to the dealer in San Antonio using a New
Mexico title (must be easy to get one there)..  We had to surrender the
vehicle. The Ford dealer had declared bankrupcy and gone out of
business, so we lost all our payments, our trade-in, and when I told the
bank what had happened (and that I wasn't making any payments until it
was sorted out), they put in on my credit as a repo!!  When we went to
buy a replacement vehicle from another dealer, I had the officer in the
stolen car dept of the DPS run a VIN check for me *before* we bought
it.  It was clean....

Oh, it turned out that there was an insurance policy somewhere for the
dealer and I got a check for the balance owed on the car -- I paid the
bank off and got my credit straightened up, but we still lost a lot of
money!  The van sat in a storage lot for a couple of years and the
storage lot submitted a lein to the judge for the storage and was
awarded the van... of course, by then it was trashed....  I really don't
know why the Canadian insurance company went to the trouble to track it
down and then just abandoned it...

Jim Houston
Brandon, FL