<VV> Corvair myths

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 10:32:30 EDT 2005

Couldn't keep axle bearings in them, Huh?
I'm building a fiberglass bodied Corvair dune buggy for the drags and using
'65-69 rear suspension.  I took one original rear hub apart to install new
bearings (just because).  What I found was amazing!  The bearings looked
brand new, no wear or pock marks at all.  The grease in there also looked
brand new.  So now my new theory is:  If the spindle rotates freely and
feels smooth, leave it alone!!!  It is "happy" and don't mess with it!!!   I
bought a "rebuilt" rear hub assembly on eBay once.  When it came, it had
1/8" end play in it!  I got it so cheap I didn't want to go thru the hassle
of shipping it back so I took it apart.  It had all new seals and bearings
in it and modern grease but the guy didn't know how to preload bearings and
screwed up the reassembly.  Sometimes rebuilding things makes them worse!
Clark Hartzel