<VV> Iowa report 1

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun Jul 3 10:59:34 EDT 2005

Well, I made it home from Iowa without anything major going wrong with my
car. The deer did try though, saw several but outfoxed them all. I did have a
roll in the "Hard Luck" award, more on that later.

I drove my '66 Corsa and traveled with Terry Kalp in his '64 convertible  and
Jim Dallas in his '61 Rampside. We took smaller roads to get there to enjoy
the scenery. We stayed overnight away from Marshalltown because of the state
VFW  convention on Saturday. We arrived at the hotel in Marshalltown on Sunday
morning and checked out the Leveque's cars which were already there. We met
up  with Bill Pierson and talked about Corvairs and cars for quite a while.
Warren,  Sharon and Michael came out to see what the crown was all about. We
talked more  about the cars and got to show off our cars.

The rest of Sunday was spent meeting old and new friends as they arrived in
Marshalltown. Jim Dallas had registered, but didn't have a car. John Miller
asked if anyone would be interested in driving a '65 110 PG coupe he had back
at  his house. Jim stepped right up. The car turned out to be a good running
but  rough car. Jim had to stop to add some ATF during the 60 mile ride back to
the  hotel. After this, the car wouldn't start, vapor locked. Time and a bag
of ice  fixed that. When he pulled off the freeway, the car stalled again and
wouldn't  start again. Since we were so close to the hotel, Terry and I went to
get Jim's  Ramp to tow the racecar in. We even had a police escort.

Monday, raceday, morning everyone headed over to the track. I'd estimate 30
cars ran and another 10 or so were there with spectators. The track is pretty
cool and lots of fun to drive. Every car completed their runs, no breakdowns.
 Warren set a new track record on his first run. I ended up in second place
in my  class (IS-3). The stock class was a close battle between 2 cars. Jim
ended up  finishing in first on his last run, in the loaner car (could we have
another  Seth?). The WTBRT finshed third (?) in IS-5 with their senior driver.
Kevin  Willson brought home the Tweety's choice for coming all the way from
Alaska.  (His car sounds real cool with the Super Traps.) Michael got the fastest
 Stinger. Warren got the Top Tweety and "requested" that Michael present it
to  him.

We all loaded up and left the track for Cedar Rapids.

More to come,
Ned