<VV> "silver" penny (not Corvair)

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 11:00:59 EDT 2005

-----I found a silver penny. It doesn't appear to be
from damage or anything of the sort. Now old either.
Was there ever such a thing?-----

Hey Sherman,
Yes and no.  Check the date. The U.S. minted steel
pennies for three years, I believe 1942-44, when
copper was diverted to war production during WWII.
They were quite common but as you can imagine, have
all dropped out of circulation over time. I probably
haven't seen one in change in 25 years. Run your
search on steel pennies and it will turn up a lot of
info.
If it isn't from that period, and you suspect it is
really silver, take it to a jeweler for quick
confirmation on the metal.
Another possibility: funny you should mention this
now, because just this week I got a BRASS penny in
change. Lincoln penny, 1997D. Searches on the American
Numismatic Association (Colorado Springs CO and New
York) site gave me nothing so I thought I'd dumb it
down. "Brass penny" turned up an 11th grade science
project where kids in PA were putting a brass plating
on pennies. Actually it looked like fun. I'm keeping
it as a curiosity addition to my collection, but since
it is a shadetree modification, I don't hold out for a
chance that it is worth much.
You could put a "silver" finish on a penny as easily
as tinning it with solder. I have two large copper
trays made in Turkey, where you can watch craftsment
engrave and tin both old and new pieces with a torch
and a bar of solder.
Good luck in the search. Some once-cheap souvenirs
bring a good buck on the market.

Chuck Kubin