<VV> Iowa report 3

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun Jul 3 13:22:44 EDT 2005

Friday was the autocross, this was my first autocross in my car against
other Corvairs. I was excited about this for sometime, finally find out how my
car and my driving compare to other Corvair drivers. The course was not what I
would call a "normal" autocross. It was a half mile oval with about 15 degree
banking followed by a quarter mile oval with similar banking. A little NASCAR
 style fun. The outside half mile track had cones to keep us safely away from
the  outer wall. I ran the couse in third gear and got about 5000 and 6000
RPM at the  end of the straights on the half. I wasn't too happy with how my car
ran. I have  the carbs vented but still had some cutout in the turns. It way
have had  something to do with a bad ground to the electric fuel pump which
broke on the  way home. I ran against 2 other IS-3 cars, a EM Fitch and Darth.
The Chuckster  used a set of tires from Michael to try to keep up with me. Even
so, I finished  first in my class, about a full second ahead of Darth.

Jim Dallas, once again doing his impersonation of Seth, got a ride in TIm
Mahler's car. Jim, an former sprint car driver, was familiar with oval racing,
but not on pavement. His first two runs were better than Tim's. This inspired
Tim to do better for his last two runs. Jim then went out and also improved
his  times to finish third in the CC class. (It's interesting the Jim got a
first and  Tweety at Marshalltown and a third at the autocross, all while driving
late  models, since Jim is a early model guy.)

I forgot to mention the fun run rides at Marshalltown. I got a ride in the
Roe car, Michael's Stinger and Tim's car. All more than 10 seconds faster than
my car was on that track! My cheeks were sore from all the smiling.

At the autocross, I swapped rides with the Where's the Beef boys, getting a
ride with Scott Trunkhill and then giving him a ride in my car. Both of these
cars were similar in times, but Scott beat me at both tracks, but their car
is  on slicks which puts them in IS-5. I also gave Terry a ride, I tried to get
him  to take is nearly stock '64 vert out with out sucess. I also gave Paul
Morre a  ride. He did very well in his beautiful blue '61 sedan.

Ned