<VV> Re: viscosity vs temp

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 13:46:47 EDT 2005

> Anyone with a digital oil pressure gauge, using synthetic oil, can easily
> verify that, indeed, the oil's viscosity index decreases (oil gets thicker)
> as the oil cycles over its heat range.
> Jim Davis

http://www.mpc-home.com/htmls/viscosity%20chart.jpg

If I understand the question right, I think the answer is >>not<< that synthetic gets thicker when hot, but rather that it does not thin out as much.
If, at 100C an oil's viscosity is ~15 cst it would be labelled 40 wt.  If at that temp it was ~11 cst it the label should be 30 wt.

At 40 C (not an SAE test temperature) they both would be over 100 cst.