<VV> Loud noise when hot - SOLVED

Vairjer at cs.com Vairjer at cs.com
Mon Jul 4 08:29:02 EDT 2005

snip> It turns out that the right head had all of the push rods
installed backwards and apparently have been that way for a long time as the
pivot balls are all deeply scored. I never would have guessed that slightly
dry pivots could make so much noise! The fact that the engine hasn't been
run for about fifteen years may have something to do with it.<

 >I only regret that I pulled the head looking for the
problem and it wasn't really necessary. I'm sure that I'm the only one who
has ever done that. <<

True confession time....this was my first experience with a head related
noise, and I pulled the head, took it into a local machine shop with an
experienced staff and verified that the damage wasn't serious....I hadn't even looked at
the pushrods as they came out, as I was concentrating on looking at the
valves/stems but couldn't figure out why so dry...  When I put the head back on I
made sure that the pushrods were properly installed, etc..   Checked the other
head and noticed the lack of oiling holes and then it DAWNED on me!!!  Every
pushrod didn't have the extra oiling hole.....I was just lucky that the
tolerances on the left head didn't cause a squeak (yet).

Jerry McKenzie