<VV> Cats in the Garage

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jul 4 18:50:22 EDT 2005

At 11:21 hours 07/04/2005, Vairtec at optonline.net wrote:
>At 11:08 AM 7/4/05, AKG wrote:
>
>[re my inquiry about controlling mice]
>
>>I've heard that cats are pretty good deterrents.
>
>True enough, and my wife and I care cat lovers, having three inside the
>house.  But for a "barn cat," I then need to provide some sort of
>entrance/exit for the cat.  This, while serving the needs of the cat,
>needs to not become a portal for raccoons, possum, skunks, et al.  How do
>I accomplish this?
>
>--Bob

Buy a "cat door".   Put it 3-4 ft above the ground (a window is a good
spot) with a small step in front of it, also one inside etc.   Show the
cat(s) where it is.    Provide an inside step of some sort (a pair of
cinderblocks works well) to aid kitty's egress to the door without their
having to resort to stunt-cat work.    Agree to tolerate little kitty feet
prints on every Vair you own.

Works for me, the cats come and go as they please with no problems, nothing
else does (raccoons are poor jumpers and possums are worse and skunks just
can't be bothered) and all is well.

The trouble is, the cats here have long since demoused the house and the
other buildings and they feel that they need practice, so they bring
various creatures IN the house for chase practice.   They bring in birds,
voles, rabbits, chipmunks, and in one instance a lizard.

Ever try to catch a wild rabbit loose in the house?    If there's carpet,
they're the quickest greatest broken field runners you could ever
imagine.   But once they hit linoleum it's all over.

This "practice" thing the cats have going on is how I discovered that if
you nab a cardinal (the bird, not the boss priest) that's buzzing the
livingroom, you really need to stay away from its beak.   They bite like
snapping turtles and can draw blood... little bastard clamped down on the
fleshy part of the inside of my thumb like vise-grips and would *not* let
go and in fact dangled from my hand like a cartoon as I tried to sling him
off, but no luck.   I had to "thump" his head with the free hand to get him
to turn loose.   I thought I was gonna get pinched right through my hide
like a paper punch.

Now...  the GOOD part of "country locations" is the storage space for
Corvair projects.   11 acres of storage... and assorted examples of
wildlife not counting the cats.    It's how you can own a dozen Vairs (and
a few others) without the neighbors complaining.

tony..