<VV> Another Report from Iowa

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 16:28:09 EDT 2005

  You've already read Ryans "Report from Iowa" So I guess it's my turn.
 We're both kinda Corvair Newbies, so bear with us.
  We left here (Near Grand Rapids, Minnesota) Wednesday afternoon about
1:30....after I had already been up at 4 and worked the morning.  Drove
thru on/off rain and a 45 MPH crosswind to Minneapolis, where we spent
the night with my folks. Dad hadn't seen the Corvair yet, but was
impressed with it and related they were good cars...he had one for a
store delivery car back in the early 70's. The trusty 64 Monza handled
real nice in the rain, wind and 70 MPH hiway speeds.
  Arose 5 AM Thursday.,...off to Cedar Rapids. Again, lots of wind to
drive in, but no rain. Arrived around 1:30...got lost in Cedar Rapids
trying to find the Marriot...did you know there are two other buildings
in Cedar Rapids with the word Marriot on them? And neither of them was
the right place.  Of course, I may have left the directions and map at
home, which was a disadvantage, but we did get to see the city a bit!
   Once we found the hotel, Ryan (as you have read) practically tripped
over his tongue drooling on cars and parts.  As Corvair Newbies we've
never had the experience of more than one assembled Corvair in our
presence at the same time, and looking at parts in a catalog is a far
cry from tables full in person!  We killed most of thursday afternoon
yacking away with people we met in the parking lot...many of whom we
knew of thru this list, or Ryan knew from his fanatical Corvair
studies..and lots of guys from the Minnesota club. When we weren't
talking we were inside buying stuff.  It was like..fill a bag...go
bs..go back for more. Nice to meet Cal and Lon and the rest of the gang
there.
  That evening Ryan took the Corvair and joined about 40 other cars for
the evening cruise, while his old man dozed on and off in the hotel
room eating twinkies and watching TV.  I was too pooped to go anywhere.
 His only report from that was his adventure down a one way street the
wrong way.  Well, at least the Corvair looks like a rolling caution
sign anyway.
  It was up at 5 Friday morning, to get ready for autocross tech
inspection, etc..  Now, we've never done this sort of thing before, but
we had read the rules, had the car ready, and before we knew it we had
shoe polish on the window and were on the way to Hawkeye Downs.  It
turned out to be more of a timed oval track race event than an
autocross, but all the better for the likes of me who would have
probably screwed up a real autocross course and went the wrong way
someplace. We could never find a helmet to buy around here, but were
assured we could find a loaner, which we did..and I have no idea from
who...Ryan knows....but THANKS for the headgear. I never realized that
you can't hear ANYTHING when you have a helmet on, at least, not
me...with crummy hearing anyway. And with a helmet, I have to hunch
back in the car to keep my noggin off the roof!  We were a bit confused
about heats, and whose turn it was..but I don't think we screwed
anything up too bad, and although Ryans times were a teensey bit faster
than mine...I don't believe I was the slowest guy on the track Friday.
I never DID find out what the time was for my first run (Anyone know?).
 I attribute his *slightly* faster times to frame of mind.....I'm
thinking "it's my car..if I break it..I have to fix it" Ryan is
thinking "gotta beat the pants off Dad no matter what". And apparently
his strategy worked. Also, on his last run he cranked up a Stevie Ray
Vaughan tune in the car stereo for inspiration.  We will have a bit of
car tweaking to do before the next time...(yes, we'll do it again) we
were blessed with the carb/fuel sputtering syndrome in the turns, and
I'm thinking we could use more air in the tires (we ran in my stock
configuration....24 front, 34 rear on low profile 15" tires).  What a
great bunch of guys at the track!  Obviously a lot of serious guys
there with GREAT cars, every one of whom made us feel right at home.
Thanks Guys!  It was great to see so many of the Greatest Corvairs on
Earth at the track, and to be there and feel like a part of the gang!
  We had to take off early in the afternoon to get checked out of the
hotel, back to Minneapolis, then to International Falls on Saturday, so
it was a hectic whirlwind few days.  Highlights? The autocross
experience. Lons stories. Seeing so many great cars, meeting so many
cool people...in fact..the whole DARN THING was a highlight. I feel
even more enthused about the whole Corvair world (if that's possible).
  Yes, I bought a record/filmstrip from Lon titled "Selling the Corvair
Over the Mustang" for 1965..a dealer training film strip...which I will
make into a quicktime movie and a free download on my website in the
next few days.  It's a real hoot.
  And, as you've probably read....Ryan came home with parts he needed
and he was up into the wee hours of the morning today putting his
engine/clutch/transmission/transaxle together.  Me? As for parts..I
bought a new air cleaner decal. Big spender, huh?
  The Monza performed perfectly. Around 27 MPG and less than half a
quart of oil used..in about 1200 miles.  Stopped in Waverly for gas on
the way home....they had 85 and 87 octane. I usually get 92..91 if I
have to...engine didn't seem quite as happy on that tankful.

Can't wait to do it all again!

Tim in Bovey

===
Stupidity is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or evil.
But you still don't want to get any on you.
===