<VV> Mice in the Garage

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Jul 4 16:52:37 EDT 2005

At 11:22 AM 7/4/05 -0400, Robert W. Marlow wrote:
> > Having moved "out to the country," we now have pests in greater number than
> > what we saw in the more urban environment.  Specifically, mice are evident
> > in the old stone barn that is now home to three Corvairs.
> >
> > The first step to mouse abatement is eliminating their entry.  Okay, that's
> > easy, I'm fairly adept at finding tiny openings and sealing them.

This is much easier said than done.  Mice have an amazing ability to get
through the smallest openings.  Sealing cracks will slow them down, but
short of new construction techniques, I doubt you will remove all pints of
entry, especially in an old barn.

We had two cats (good mousers) that were free to roam the barn at our old
home where I kept several Corvairs in storage.  I never had mouse damage.

> > The second step is traps and/or bait.  Check, I've got them and have
> > already begun to observe dead mice.  But I'd like to add the VV-approved
> > home recipe, which if I recall included Portland cement (appropriate this
> > year) -- anyone have it handy?

Equal parts of the dry ingredients: Portland cement, sugar, flour.

> > The third step is deterrance:  Here, I need some help.  In my former
> > garage, keeping the cars stocked with scented "Bounce" dryer sheets was
> > sufficient.  I think in my new place I need to increase the arsenal.  What
> > might you suggest?  Specifically, what has worked?   And I'm curious about
> > these little electronic repellers that are sold in the home centers, are
> > they effective or are they snake oil?

Since we moved to our new home I have had to store several Corvair
"projects" in makeshift shelters on our property.  Our cats are still
around but were seemingly unable to keep the mice out of the cars.  I think
that the mice did not venture out from the cars like they did when the cars
were in the barn.  I even had mice in our winter beater Jeep Cherokee that
was stored outside during the past summer.

I now place pie pans of moth balls (naphthalene) in the trunk and interior
compartment of all stored cars.  It is a bit smelly but it works.  To clear
the naphthalene, leave the car out in the sun on a clear windy day with the
windows rolled down.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI