<VV> mobil 1 user

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 16:46:22 EDT 2005

I use Volkswagen's own brand semi-synthetic 'Quantum Synta' in my 84 Golf
GTi, and I and the previous owner have been using this since 1989, when he
bought it with 50000 miles on the clock. Quantum Synta costs $10 a gallon,
and we have both changed the oil every 5000 miles (at $10 a gallon this is
no hardship - Mobil 1 here costs $45 a gallon!).

It has now done 230000 miles, and it has no bore or bearing (or any other)
wear, and the only engine work it has ever had was valve stem oil seals at
210000 miles (that's how I know there's no bore wear - it's a head-off job).

Does this tell me that VW's semi-synthetic is great oil, or that more
expensive synthetic oils are a waste of money, or that fully synthetic isn't
worth bothering with over semi-syn, or that it was a good idea to buy a car
whose interior and exterior fitments, and its wheel bearing and driveshafts,
etc (3 out of 4 bearings and all the CVJs are still original, despite our
stringent inspection regs) were of the same quality as its mechanical ones
(so that everything else can last as long as the engine - which is is
doing) - or just that VWs are incredibly well-engineered?

I kind of figured that a company with a reputation for durability like VW
has would not put oil in its engines from new and at services unless it was
exceptionally high quality - and I seem to have been right. So far, anyway -
I am shooting for at least the 1/4 million mile mark, and I would like to
get to half a million!

Cheers

Alan