<VV> Re: Curious oil practices

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Tue Jul 5 22:52:12 EDT 2005

Billy Ray,

I'm not an engineer but I write about this stuff sometimes, so I'm guessing
that the old guy's don't-drain-but-change-the-filter practice worked because
the oil stayed pretty clean. Three thousand miles in moderate to light-duty
service was/is not enough to wear out the oil, and changing filters at that point
was enough to take out any accumulated dirt, etc. Adding a quart or so at that
time replenished the additive package while further freshening the oil in the
crankcase.

Some truckers now go much farther between drains by using bypass filtration
-- an extra filtration device which continuously cleanses small amounts of oil
so that eventually all oil in the crankcase is purified. Oil analysis confirms
that such oil in a big on-highway diesel can go 25,000 to 50,000 miles or
more without change. However, filter elements are changed periodically.

In 1980 or so I did an article about a guy who ran a few dump trucks but
didn't want the mess and oil-disposal problems from frequent changes (10,000 miles
was then a common  drain interval, and some still do it that often). He had
one Cummins 855-cid-powered truck that had gone more than 400,000 miles without
a drain. But he did change the extra filter element (basically tightly-wound
paper toweling in a cannister) about every 12,000 miles and poured in a gallon
of oil to make up what the dirty element took out. He was also careful with
his air filters. Regular analysis showed all levels of impurities, including
wear metals, were well within safe limits.

Right now I am doing essentially the same thing with the 110 engine in my '64
Monza. I haven't drained the oil in several years, but do change the filter
about once a year. In a year I drive maybe 500 to 1,000 miles -- and leak five
to 10 quarts of oil, which of course I replace with new oil. So, ha ha, it's
getting an oil change every 500 miles, and I don't need oil analysis to tell me
that the engine's almost certainly safe.

Now, when I get those O-rings replaced on the pushrod tubes....

--Tom Berg

***

In a message dated 7/5/2005 6:04:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,