<VV> RE:Silicone Brake Fluid, was Re: synthetic oil

DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 13:12:18 EDT 2005

Hi gang,

Here's my experience with silicone Dot 5 brake fluid
so far.  I love it.  I went through the system in my
Greenbrier back before 1997 and replaced the master
and wheel cylinders.  At that time I put in silicone
Dot 5.  I don't autocross it but regularly carry
heavy loads, drive in hilly areas and in Bay Area
traffic so I'd say it the brakes get moderate use.

I'd say that so far the braking experience for me is
comparable to that of Dot 3, I can't really tell a
difference.  The Big plus for me was when I broke
into the system to replace the rubber flex lines.
The fluid came out clear with no signs of rust
discoloration at all.  Maybe some of it has to do
with where I live but I was impressed.  I had not
opened the system or bled the brakes in over 7 years
except to check fluid levels at the master cylinder.
I also like the fact that it is non-destructive to
painted surfaces.  I like it and it works for what I
do but again, I don't race.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier
1963 Spyder