<VV> RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 53

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Wed Jul 6 13:01:51 EDT 2005

Quote from Jim Schardt's Stinger prep manual, mid-70s  "Use DOW CORNING
silicone brake fluid only."  I can't speak to current practice, but this
implies that silicone fluid was successfully used in road racing corvairs in
the past.

Steve

Nobody that I know of uses silicone fluid on the track.

The negative charactersitics  (such as its compressability)  of it far
outweigh the boiling points on paper. Most everyone that I know uses a
synthetic DOT
3/4 compatible fluid (I use Vavloline Synpower). Even the high boiling
points don't work in practice as the water that invaribly does get into the
system pools
in the wheel cylinders and boils much quicker than the water-laden glycol
based fluids.

Based on my very negative experiences with DOT 5 in street driven Corvairs
(including full brake failure in a customer's car), I would never ever
recommend
them for anyone who uses their brakes heavily on the street... only for
rarely driven trailer queens.

Bill Elliott