<VV> Need help with Clutch info on 61 Rampy

Melanie Teller ponymel at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 13:40:54 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and since I receive about 10 digests a day (very prolific and verbal group this list is! :) I thought I would post my "cry for help" here!

I have a 1961 Rampy Truck that is at a friend's house in Ontario, California (near Pomona California).  My friend's husband has been slowly (due to my low cash flow) repairing and working on Mugsy.  This past weekend I received word that they will be cited for any and all non-running/moving vehicles on their property (they DO have a large 1/4 acre lot and he does putter on cars there) so though my Mugsy is "running," apparently he can't "move" due to needing a new clutch.  I've contacted my friend and asked for a list of parts needed and am awaiting the answer.  Upon my research on the internet (I've yet to speak to a person, though I understand my friend has spoke to California COrvair Parts in Corona and were quoted $385 for a 'clutch'), I'm finding that using "clutch" means different things to different people.  I imagine that all the parts and such that goes with the 'clutch' is what is needed.

My real dilemma is that I don't have $385 and neither does my friend, so poor Mugsy Rampy is up a creek without a paddle (or a clutch as it were).

Does anyone here have ideas on what my friend "might" could do to make Mugsy 'moveable' that would be quick and cheap and might satisfy the situation (inspector apparently is returning on Monday July 11th--so no time to do much of anything really) until "real" parts and such could be gotten together for my poor truck?

Thank you for ANY and all advice and suggestions.

Best,

Melanie Teller
Northridge, CA