A/C for turbos Re: <VV> '65 Monza to Corsa/Turbo

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 16:46:25 EDT 2005

Stephen,
       Turbo Corvairs never came with factory A/C for a couple of reasons.
First and most obvious, the stock condensor won't fit in the engine compartment
either over the engine like EMs and 1965s or right up against the cooling air
intake like 1966s and later.  You'd have to move the turbo to fit it in.
Second, the stock cooling system is barely adequate for cooling the engine under
full boost so heating the cooling air by flowing it first through the
condensor would only make matters worse.
       Also, to my knowledge, no Corvair A/C condensor ever came from the
factory installed in the right rear fender.  However, there have been conversions
where A/C was added to turbo Corvairs by installing the condensor up front in
the trunk using proper ducting to ensure sufficient air flow INTO and OUTOF
the condensor and an electric fan to move air through the condensor when the
car was stopped in traffic.
       There are aftermarket books available showing Corvair A/C
installations that may show units installed in a turbo model.  Perhaps someone actually
did put a condensor in the rear fender.
       By the way, I couldn't get to the eBay site you gave to show the car.
       Frank "likes A/C" Burkhard