<VV> Breaker Brake

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 18:44:15 EDT 2005

Wow, I'm sure glad to learn that the dozen or so vehicles that I've
successfully converted to silicone brake fluid couldn't possibly work.  I'm  also
delighted to know about the higher boiling point of DOT 5.1 so now I know I  can
have this *useful* benefit of DOT 5 silicone and get back the beloved
corrosion and paint-damage characteristics of the beloved DOT 3 fluid.

DOT 3 Benefits: Cheap, distributes moisture
DOT 3 Weaknesses: low boiling point, permits corrosion, damages paint

DOT 4 Benefits: Moderate price, distributes moisture, higher boiling  point
DOT 4 Weaknesses: permits corrosion, damages paint, some rubbers react to
chemistry

DOT 5 Benefits: High boiling point, won't damage paint, dramatically  reduces
corrosion
DOT 5 Weaknesses: High cost, coalesced water in system may boil,  entrained
air may cause "spongy" pedal, system rubber should be new upon  conversion,

DOT 5.1 (See DOT 4) + high boiling point

Pick which benefits are important to you and select accordingly.  For  me,
the lack of paint damage and corrosion reduction leads me to DOT 5.   What's
your choice?
Craig Nicol