<VV> Breaker Brake

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Thu Jul 7 19:08:22 EDT 2005

Despite your obvious bias (VBG) you have laid out a very decent summary of the various benefits and
weaknesses.

The only additions I would make are that some DOT 4 fluids (like Castrol GT/LMA) and all DOT5.1's (that
I'm aware of) have dramatically lower moisture absorption characteristics than DOT 3 and most DOT
4's... so while they still "distribute" water once it's in, they don't as aggressively attract it, making them
more like DOT5 in that regard.

And from what I can tell, cars with real rubber components (which reacted with some DOT4 fluid other
than Castrol) do not have the same reactions with 5.1. I'm using it in quite a few old Brit cars with rubber
components where I would not dare use non-Castrol DOT4..

Lots and lots of collector vehicles use DOT5 for the exact same reasons that you do... and those are
very valid reasons.  And as long as you do everything right (keep everything adjusted properly, etc) and
don't overheat the wheel cylinders, it usually works just fine.

As I mentioned, I still have DOT5 in some of my cars (actually down to just 1 now) where I'm willing to live
with those limitations.

And those that have seen my cars know I'm not going to worry about brake fluid damaging my paint! ;-)

Bill