<VV> Gernade engine autopsy

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 00:12:28 EDT 2005

all,
Michael tore down his "Gernade with pin fully pulled" engine today.
The No 5 and no 6 rods left the crankshaft. There are no big ends left to
examine.
Trashed the block and cam also. The heads and valve train are perfect.
If the MSD rev limiter is reliable ---big, big IF-- the engine never exceded
6800 rpm.
  The no 5 main journal is trash but 4 and 6 are perfect. We suspect that the
big ends of the rods simply let go. The rods were bored (weakened) for
oversize bolts and had extensive metal removed for balancing. Weakened in the
interest of speed?
   Opinions welcomed.
Michael has been offered my YS015 Stinger for Beaver Run. Please encourage
him; he's really down for several reasons.
This probably means that I have to hand the top Tweety back to him at
Beaverrun.. The Stinger is bettered prepared than the the Roe car and probably about
200# lighter.

Warren