<VV> 65: Early and Late

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 8 12:32:48 EDT 2005

The shoulder harness connector under the headliner?

(wish mine had one [Jan. '65 from WR] although I have little to fear of
having an accident at this point)

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

(getting ready to vent, so go to the next post if you're tired of
hearing my problems)

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 0 as the engine
is in pieces all over the garage floor)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(and indefinitely holding)
	(Back in group red thirty miles after having the engine rebuilt
because my &*#@*^% ex-brother poured water down the heads and let it
set in order to destroy a perfectly running engine before handing it
over, this my Corvair mechanic dad's garaged, almost zero rust (except
on battery tray and trunk floor), travel car to me in an estate
settlement in '00.  (I had the shrouds, air cleaners, and blower fan
powder coated, all of the bolts zinc plated, and purchased the best
Clarks'  .030 jugs, cast pistons, Sealed Point lifters, .010 Clevite 77
main and rod bearings, Moly rings, springs, ultimate harmonic balancer,
Petronix ignition, Flame Thrower coil, reusable-life time air filters,
silicon plug wires, Wolf carburetors, a reworked left side head, Clarks
ultimate gas tank [w/ Red Kote applied by me], complete brake overhaul
and cylinder replacement kit, dual master conversion, turned drums,
ultimate weather stripping kit, pitman arm bushing, reworked and
installed solid tube gas lines from the electronic fuel pump to the
carburetors and an aftermarket dash mounted oil temp sensor, not to
mention the associated gasket kits, seals, ect. - made all the more
personal as I worked side by side with the mechanic, sweating, bleeding
and busting my knuckles for at least twenty weekends (a 70 mile round
trip to his house and back) putting this together.  I have now had to
purchase a used 140 crank, #3 rod, new main and rod bearings, and used
12 fin cooler to replace the destroyed ones.
	I also bought a finned, deep Otto oil pan, and used door pillar and A
frame window pillar covers from the Corvair Dr. before he went out of
business [ I must still harbor some sort of optimism {or lunacy} to
purchase accessory parts for a car that will not likely be running
again for some time and considerably more $] )  : (

I gotta stop looking on ebay and thinking, "I wish I knew before I
started this project what I know now as I'm into the $ range of what I
could get a nice running car for what I have invested in the parts on
my garage floor.

  I can offer a guess...roughly May '65, with Willow
Run serial number roughly W250000 and higher. The only
major difference was the change in the steering
box/column assembly. There were several other minor
changes, such as the headlight bezels and probably a
few other detail parts, but otherwise all '65's are
the same.

  Mike
  YS-117