<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 76

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 18:12:42 EDT 2005

>> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:01:51 -0600
> From: "Bob & Kathy Gilbert"
> Subject: Fuel Pump Update and More Questions
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finally bit the bullet and relocated the electric fuel pump to within
> inches of the gas tank last night.
>
> Sad to say after about 3 hours of rolling around under the car and hoping
> nobody would strike a match near me (!)I fired up the car and - EXACTLY the
> same thing! I got up to about 65 mph and down went the engine only to be
> able to restart after rolling to a stop.
>
> Arrgh...
>
> Today, in a fit of desperation I put a mechanical fuel pump back - et voila
> - my problem seems to have disappeared.
>
> It appears (I'm still a little cautious) that for some reason or other the
> electric fuel pump didn't have enough oomph for the higher speeds and it
> didn't matter whether it was located at the front or the back.
>
> Next question:
>
> Assuming I leave the electric pump mounted, is it Ok to leave it running or
> should I shut it off?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I'd do a pressure AND a volume test at a carb connection.
First with the electric pump running, engine off. (probably should have done that when the E-pump was installed near the engine.)
Then with the e-pump off while cranking the engine with 12 V lead off coil.grounded, IF the flow is good pulling thru the disabled E-pump it can stay off.