<VV> was synthetic oil, now silicone brake fluid

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sat Jul 9 13:49:59 EDT 2005

I can provide the following anecdotal information:

I last rebuilt my brakes about 25-30 years ago and put in DoT 5 fluid,
expecting the car to sit for a while.  It has unfortunately been on
jackstands ever since in my garage (definitely not dry in summer, but
lightly heated in winter, limiting temperature variation to about 50F).
  Now that I'm back working on it, I thought it was time to bleed the
brakes, which I did a few weeks ago.

I put a considerable amount of replacement DoT 5 fluid through the
brakes and none of the waste fluid showed water globules.  One brake
cylinder was found to have an incomplete bleed passage (no idea how it
got fluid in it to begin with).  When I removed the cylinder to
investigate why it wouldn't bleed correctly, there was no sign of water
pooled in the brake fluid, or corrosion on the cylinder walls.

The brake system does have teflon brake lines, but there is potentially
water transpiring rubber at the cylinder ends and in the dual master
cylinder cover.

Putting the car on the road could lead to other results.  Since I won't
be driving this car hard until the rings are seated once I get it on the
road, I will keep it DoT 5 until then, at least.

kirby