<VV> was synthetic oil, now silicone brake fluid

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Wed Jul 6 17:18:12 EDT 2005

Moisture can enter the system in lots of ways. First and foremost is in the air suspended in the fluid.
Silicone fluids carry much more air than glycol fluids, so while the fluid doesn't actually attract moisture
like glycol does, it already carries more when fresh.

Moisture can also enter through microscopic pores in soft brakes hoses and seals, cracks/leaks in the
hoses or lines, air that is drwn into the resevoir as the pads or shoes wear, and each time you open the
master to check the fluid level.

It takes only a very small amount of moisture to pool and displace as steam for the pedal to go to the
floor.

Hey, if it works for you, great! I'm not trying to change any minds of those that have used it with no
problems and will likely continue to use it (regardless of what I say) until/if it fails on them.   I'm simply
trying to give information to those considering it and only getting one side of the story.

There is absolutely no reason to wear a seat belt either... until it's needed. Lots of folks drive around
their entire life without a seat belt and live to tell the story. Other, like me, see the results of a single
accident without a seat belt and make the decision to always wear one. Even though it's a bit more
trouble (just like regularly flushing brake systems are) I like the extra measure of safety it provides.

Bill Elliott