<VV> Corvair Fan

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 14:13:43 EDT 2005

I think one needs to look beyond Corvair cooling blowers, and look to other
air cooled engines that make more power, etc., and have fewer cooling
problems.
Corvair fans are centrifugal blowers, as you point out. Nothing wrong with
that, but the Corvair blowers, ANY of them, don't represent the best of what
there is, not by a LONG shot.
Nor are centrifugal blowers the best for this application. Deutz air cooled
diesels, Porsche 911s, etc., typically use axial blowers. These tend to to be
more efficient, and can operate more linearly over a wider range of speeds.
Meaning, they don't go ballistic on HP when driven to redline speeds.
Hydraulic drives, etc., are interesting, but KISS is always better.  <G>

In a message dated 7/9/2005 1:41:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,