<VV> Corvair Fan

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sat Jul 9 22:59:45 EDT 2005

Hi,

The axial vertical fan project that Bob Coffin and I have been inching along
for several years took an important step today. This morning I dropped off
the prototype (aluminum) hub, fan blades, and an alignment jig to my
favorite welder.

I should have it back in a week or so then I will post a picture on my web
site. The plan is for Bob to test the fan on one of his cars and do some
airflow measurements. This fan uses the fiberglass housing he made several
years ago that several racers are using with the Austin fan.

The new fan was designed (using the formulas from the "Fan Handbook:
Selection, Application, and Design", available on Amazon.com and other
places) to provide adequate cooling for street use. If it operates as
expected, hopefully all that might be required is adding some ducting vanes
to the underside of the fiberglass housing.

If all goes well, we would like to make the production fans out of something
much lighter than aluminum; perhaps a modern plastic. (But it needs to be
one that doesn't react with battery acid fumes. We all know the story of the
prototype Delrin fan creating formaldehyde gas!) There will be a
price/performance decision to make.

By the way, most of the delay was waiting for a friend to install and
provide power to the four-axis CNC mill that he purchased for his home shop.
That took longer than expected but it was worth the wait because he does
great work. :-)

Stay tuned...

--Kent