<VV> Trekking

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Jul 10 16:16:32 EDT 2005

> Wonder why Smitty  didn't convoy when he went to Alaska..towing a house
> trailer.......

For those who obviously don't know,

Smitty was going to AK on one trip, towing his Coleman Trailer---not a pop
up camper for those who haven't ever seen it.

 I believe he was in Montana whan his crankshaft cracked.  He never made it
to AK on that trip. He managed to get a U Haul, built wooden ramps to get
the wagon inside(over the wheel humps in the truck, towed the trailer behind
the U Haul and got to some relatives in KC, where with some local
assistance, he got the engine out, put in another crankshaft, got the wagon
back on the road, and if memory serves correctly, went back to Virginia.

I believe if you look in the Communique, he wrote up the complete story. Its
been about 15 years now, so it could have been in the club newsletter.

If memory serves correctly, he did make it to AK on another try.

I'll be certain Smitty can correct my dim memory of that event if I got any
of it wrong.

Contrary to the opinions of some, there are some failures you just can't fix
on the side of the road. Broken crankshafts are on that list. Of course,
some people probably carry a spare running engine, just in case.

Hank