<VV> High performance cooling

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Sun Jul 10 17:22:17 EDT 2005

SNIP but adding an efficient fan (like possibly the vertical fan like we're discussing here) would NOT change the basic character of the car and might even lead to things like a reliable turbo engine that can run air conditioning. These sorts of considerations are of concern to everyone except purists and are not limited to the fastvair racer types.

Bill, wouldn't the additional cost of such modifications be much much more than the actual potential damage it would attempt to prevent? I think that even if my engine fried from "inadequate" cooling causing valve seat failure and seized pistons, the cost would be less than $1000.  The cost of a vertical fan conversion is? If Kent Sullivan and Bob Coffin achieve their goal, will it be superior to employing other technologies such as employing aluminum cylinders in place of cast iron cylinders with the stock cooling system?

Some have mentioned that they desire fan belt retention at OHC type engine speeds. At 7000 rpm, which appears to be the consensus goal of this project, the Corvair valves are floating and other valve train damage is occurring necessitating a rebuild within foreseeable expectations. Consider that the redline of production OHC Porsches is 6,500 rpm, a more feasible goal would visualize max fan performance at a more appropriate modified Corvair redline of 6,000 rpm. Talk about grenade engines... I think we want to make that Corvair powered Honda with VVT.

Crawford