<VV> New Corvair in the stable..Now have turbo AC questions

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Mon Jul 11 16:53:06 EDT 2005

I'd suggest that you first join Air 'Vair, the CORSA chapter for
air-conditioned Corvairs. CORSA members can join for $5 sent to Mark Corbin,
5474 SR 19, Galion  OH 44833.
     I'd suggest you go to R-134a immediately, unless you mean to stay with
R-12 indefinitely. Getting best effect from R-134a (as from R-12) entails
using a PARTICULAR type of condenser, of which type most modern examples
will be, of course. You should also use an expansion valve calibrated for
R-134a and, of course, the appropriate refrigeration oil for this
refrigerant. Offhand, I just can't think of a reason to start with R-12 when
you intend eventually to go to R-134a. Why postpone the switch when you're
in a good position to do it now?

Joe Potts
Newsletter editor, Air 'Vair
Miami, Florida USA