<VV> 65 dash paint

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Jul 11 19:12:42 EDT 2005

Mike, one low cost option is to strip the panel, scuff the painted areas,
mask appropriately, paint it with black wrinkle paint commonly available at
your FLAPS, then paint it silver with an appropriate spray bomb.  One
caution is to read the instructions on the wrinkle paint carefully and
follow them.  Heat is helpful (not a problem in most areas of the country
this time of year) and you really do have to lay on three THICK coats to get
the proper wrinkle effect.  Skilled painters have problems with this product
because they have learned to lay down thin coats rather than piling the
paint on.  Also, it will be helpful if you can lay the parts flat so that
the paint has less opportunity to run.  Finally, be sure to clean the parts
carefully with econo-clean, prep-sol or a similar product.  For masking the
little silver ridge around the outside edge of the dash, you might look into
some ultra narrow masking tape available at Finishmasters or the like.

Norm Witte

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org