<VV> New Corvair in the stable..Now have turbo AC questions

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 19:59:58 EDT 2005

You don't have to install new hoses, Rick.  Used "old-style" hoses  seal 134a
well because their porosity has been reduced by the old R12 mineral  oil.
A/C technicians have discovered that old R12 hoses don't  have to be replaced
for a 134a conversion.  Your delco A6 compressor will  work just fine on 134a.
IMHO, replacing the expansion valve is somewhat optional  too, depending on how
it performs.  I have only had to change the EV on a  few of the conversions
that i've done.  OTOH, your drier will have to  replaced in any event - they're
only good for about 30 minutes exposure to air  and they're all done.  Having
said all that, the R12 does cool better and  the old mineral oil does a
better job than E100.  If it were my car, I  would go with the 134a.
Craig Nicol

My plan  to start with R12 was that I didn't want the expenses of new
drier, hoses,  compressor, and expansion valve that currently exists with
the  system.

I have friend who is licensed and does all the R12 work for the  old cars
around here.  R-12 cools much better and I was going to run  it until it
wasn't possible any more.

Am I really in the better  situation to switch over now to 134 or am I
better off going the R12  now?