<VV> Exhaust Idea

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Tue Jul 12 09:33:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Porsche 912 with a reverse rotation Corvair engine. The exhaust that came on the car was a pair of straight pipes through Cherry Bombs, so it was very loud. At 4,000 RPM the resonance in the car was almost painful. I decided very quickly to replace the exhaust and wanted to have a design that took advantage of the cut out in the left rear bumper for the stock 912 exhaust. After scratching my head a bit I decided that if I would take two separate exhaust pipes into a single muffler that has a single outlet. I talked with a local exhaust shop that specializes in custom designs. The guy who owned the shop, and built the exhaust, was extremely helpful. We raised the car and spent some time under it discussing how to route the right pipe from the stock manifold under the Porsche five speed to a small turbo muffler. Three hours later it was finished. To make the system, he cut the existing pipes about two inches in front of the exhaust manifold flange and welded 1-3/4 inch pipe to the stubs. Then custom bent the pipes to mate with the small turbo muffler. The sound is mellow, but not so loud as to melt brain cells. I can actually hear the radio. My reason for describing this system is that it is a nice alternative to dual exhaust, especially when you want to keep a somewhat stock appearance. Also, as a nice bonus, I seem to have a bit more low end so starting from a stop is somewhat easier. Of course, that might be an hallucination and it seems easier because I can not hear what the engine is doing.

Regards,
Joe White (62 Sedan [rebuilt vents are back in], 66 Porvair)
Boulder, CO
CORSA, RMC