<VV> Carb tags

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jul 12 09:10:08 EDT 2005

>The 70 identifies the carb as a Rochester series H or HV single barrel
>carb; the first number 2 indicate the decade the carb was build starting
>with the 1950, so the 2 indicates the 1960's; the 8 indicates it is for a
>1968 model car; the 024 indicates its specific application or 110, 140
>primary, PG with A.I.R.

Jim is almost correct, just we can add a bit more to it: in the decade
position, 3 was used for special emissions carbs so the 1970 decade was a
4. Around 1975 a "1" prefix was added so that carb in 1976 would have been
17046024.

The "70" is Rochester,  the fifth digit identifies the carb series (0 - H,
B, and G one and two barrels, 1 for monojets and 4GC, 2 for quadrajets.
Higher numbers were used for later emissions carbs.

The sixth digit indicates the car line - Chevrolet used 0, 1, & 2; Pontiac
6 and 7; etc. The seventh digit indicates the specific carb sequence of
issuance however *generally* and odd number is for an automatic
transmission and an even number, a manual. (Note after 1971 odd things
happened and some Chevrolet carbs used the car line indicator "3" which
previously meant Cadillac. Never say never)

My Rochester parts book (acquired in 1979 but consists of bulletins of
latest issue) shows the last "H" carbs being in bulletin 9C-3033 dated
November 1971 which lists a 7028005 as the "primary" and 7027026 as
"auxilliary".

Now for 1967 in bulletin 9C-3023 I do show a 7026024 (and a "6" is easy to
mistake for an "8") as an HV used with automatic trans and without A.I.R.

Padgett