<VV> Automobile magazine Aug. 2005

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Jul 12 10:20:56 EDT 2005

I received my August 2005 issue of Automobile magazine and it contains two
items of interest:

I.  Jean Jennings' "Vile Gossip" column on page 13 discusses the writers of
articles featured in that issue.  among them is Joe Phillippi, a Wall Street
auto analyst whom she characterizes as "one of the tiny handful...who actually
likes cars."  She establishes his bona fides with a litany of the cars he owns
adding; "but the best car he ever owned...was a '65 Corvair Turbo Spider [sic]
to which he added a two-barrel truck carb, a finned oil pan, and  John
Fitch-style stainless-steel antiroll bars, fabricated by his father."

II.  On page 116 Phil Llewellin has penned a "Great Drives" column about his
trip from Lexington to Chillicothe (Ohio) in a new Mercedes wagon.  He
mentions the "fabulous flood wall murals in Portsmouth" which I mentioned in my
article in the April 2005 communique about my drive to the Lexington convention.
There's even a tiny photo at the bottom of the page showing the hood of the
Mercedes parked in front of the very same panel of the murals that I posed my
Corvair in front of for the photo on page 16 of the communique!  Great minds
think alike!  <GG>  I must say, however, I think a Corvair looks better there than
a Mercedes!  And just remember, the communique was there first!

Bill Stanley