<VV> floating fuel gauge needle

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Wed Jul 13 10:07:47 EDT 2005

Art,
   It looks to me, as a poor grounding. I would check, first, at the place where the sending unit's small wire, connects to the body. Clean and reattach. Second, with ignition on, push with your thumb on several places around the dash plate. If needle moves then, there is a poor contact between the dash metal straps an body (ground). Hope this help.

   Daniel Monasterio

<<I'm sure this is a common problem but being a novice please indulge me.  I
have replaced the fuel sending unit when I refurbished the tank and my gauge
was working just fine for a few weeks.  All of a sudden the gauge has
started floating slowly back and forth and is rarely accurate.  Does this
sound like the gauge itself has gone bad?>>