<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 122

JKFG717 at aol.com JKFG717 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 13:45:18 EDT 2005

From: <mhicks130 at cox.net>
Subject: RE: <VV> sick of my  Corvair, Very Long!

My story is similar to Mike Hicks. I have 2 Corvairs and have learned  they
are a quirky automobile. I also own two other old cars, an Olds, and a
Cadillac. I agree with Chuck Kubins analogy to an extent. The primary difference  I
feel about Corvairs versus other cars is this:
An old Mustang, Chevy,Ford or any common 6 cylinder, V-8, or flat head for
that matter can be fixed by most, not all, but most mechanics. Basically a
water  cooled 12 volt car is just that. Some are problematic, but not  many.
Electronic transmissions from the 50's, Overdrive systems, Kaiser  Turbo chargers,
those are some of the few exceptions. Being far from  mechanically inclined
myself I struggle mightily with diagnosis and repair.  I have however figured
out most things on a V-8 Cadillac with little problems.  Not so simple with a
Corvair. I have posted on this group amy times with some of  the most
interesting problems. I have gotten great advice and am eternally  grateful for all of
you and the advice. Still though, I can't get my car fixed.  There are no
mechanics available and I live in the Metro, DC/Baltimore area. I  can't
continually tap on my club friends every 2 months when the car either  won't start or
move. This car ran OK till a very talented mechanic rebuilt the  carbs. Not so
since. Everyone is busy, working and have lives. I find it  interesting that in
my local club there are probably 3 running Corvairs. The  rest of the
membership have driveways full of non-running cars.  I honestly  know of no other
clubs around me that have those averages. Most of you probably  think, "What's
this guy in it for?" To answer, it's the people. I have no other  club friends
like our Corvair people. A great blend of some of the most  wonderful,
talented, generous people on the planet. Even when I get out of  Corvairs, I'll stick
around. I can carry tools, help with conventions, clean and  polish cars and
whatever else my Corvair folks need. The car though, probably  not. I don't
have either the time or talent to keep up with these babies. No  matter how easy
and cheap they are to work on. I am 48, have foreign daily  drivers and that's
not an accident. I don't have to worry much about them. I  still think
though, that you should be able to get back and forth from a club  meeting or a car
show without breaking down. I do it in my 53 Cadillac all the  time. Thanks
for the vent space. Jim